FBI has added Syrian Electronic Army in their WANTED list after a Long List of attacks on Media outlets, SEA is an active group of hackers sympathetic to the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
Some days ago, SEA took down NY Times, Huffington post and twitter, websites were down for many hours, after 1 Week from the tangodown of multiple media outlets the FBI issued an advisory warning Americans about the SEA and its capabilities. The statement also reported that any US citizen found to be aiding the hackers will be investigated as a terrorist who is actively aiding attacks against US companies.
The memo, dated August 30, was first published by journalist Matthew Keys.
“The Syrian Electronic army, a pro-regime hacker group that emerged during Syrian anti-government protests in 2011, has been compromising high-profile media outlets in an effort to spread pro-regime propaganda,” the advisory stated. “The SEA’s primary capabilities include spearphishing, web defacements, and hijacking social media accounts to spread propaganda.”
On September 2, SEA also defaced US Marine Corps recruuitment website, posting images of US soldiers holding messages of contempt regarding possible American involvement in Syria.
“The Syrian army should be your ally not your enemy,” a letter on the page read. “Refuse your orders and concentrate on the real reason every soldier joins the military, to defend their homeland. You’re more than welcome to fight alongside our army rather than against it.”
You can read about some Major hacks by SEA:
- BBC 3 Twitter Accounts were Hijacked by Syrian Electronic Army
- 11 Twitter accounts associated with Guardian hacked by (SEA) Syrian Electronic Army
- Syrian Electronic Army again in the News, Now E! Online Twitter Account hacked
- Syrian Electronic Army hacked @TheOnion Twitter Accounts
- Financial Times 14 Official Twitter Accounts hacked by Syrian Electronic Army (UPDATED with 12 More Accounts)
- SEA Hijacked “The Telegraph” 8 Twitter Accounts and a Facebook page
- ITV twitter account said “SEA WAS HERE” because Hijacked by Syrian Electronic Army
- Syrian Electronic Army hacked Website of Turkish Ministry of Interior and Leaked Login Credentials
- Syrian Electronic Army hacked Reuters’ twitter account & White House Employees’ personal email accounts
- Syrian Electronic Army TangoDown (Twitter, Huffingtonpost & NyTimes) at a time